SA want say in Magnussen funding useOn 01/31/2019 by admin
Unhappy with James Magnussen’s new training program, Swimming Australia say they’ll continue to fund it but want a say in how the money is spent.
The 100m freestyle world champion ended his four-year partnership with Brant Best in September and has since hired young coaches Mitch and Lach Falvey as part of a new training program at Ravenswood swimming club in Sydney.
In a statement released on Wednesday, performance director Michael Scott said SA wanted Magnussen to have the best possible training for next year’s world championships and the 2016 Rio Olympics.
“We do not support the training environment James has chosen going forward and there are a range of factors that have led us to that decision and we are not about to go into them,” said Scott.
“In saying that, we have nothing against the young coaches Mitch and Lach Falvey.”
“At the end of the day we respect James’ right to make his own decision – although we haven’t got to agree with it.”
Scott said he, along with national head coach Jacco Verhaeren, had been in regular contact with the Olympic silver medallist since he split with Best but their talks failed to sway The Missile.
“However, we will still provide financial support to James,” he said.
“This support will need to be targeted at specific gaps that Jacco as head coach has identified.”
The Falveys have signalled they’re willing to work alongside the sporting body to get Magnussen in competitive shape for 2016.
The brothers, who are both in their 20s, grew up swimming at the same Port Macquarie pool as the swimming star but only met him two years ago.
They told News Corp that as young coaches they are open to advice from others with more experience like Verhaeren but ultimately they draw up and run Magnussen’s program.
They believe they can make him swim faster than his 47.10 second best 100m freestyle time set over two years ago at the 2012 Olympic trials.