\’Santa\’ shooting leaves partygoers deadOn 07/30/2019 by admin
US police say at least six people are dead after an armed man dressed as Santa Claus went on a gun rampage at a Christmas Eve party.
The gunman, Bruce Pardo, 45, arrived at the home of his ex-wife\’s parents, in Covina, California, just before midnight on Wednesday, local time.
Local media reports suggest he was let into the house by revellers who thought he had been hired as a children\’s entertainer.
But once inside, he produced a handgun from beneath his costume, opening fire and spraying the 30 or so partygoers inside with bullets.
After terrified bystanders fled the scene, Pardo apparently torched the house with a home-made incendiary device before removing the Santa suit and making his getaway.
Gunman found dead
He was found dead at his home in Sylmar, Los Angeles, a few hours later. Police say he died as a result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
Six bodies have been pulled from the wreckage of the burnt-out house in Covina.
Two girls, aged 16 and eight, are being treated in hospital for gunshot wounds, and a 13-year-old was also injured.
Local media reports suggest Mr Pardo\’s estranged wife is among those still missing.
Detectives believe the pair\’s relationship may have been the catalyst for the deadly attack.
“He was going through some type of marital problems, and we believe that this residence is a relative\’s residence,” Lieutenant Pat Buchanan said.
Police \’shocked\’ by attack
“He knocked on the door, went in and opened fire on about 30 guests.”
Buchanan told CBS2 television the shooting was “extremely unusual and very shocking”.
“It\’s just not something we see here at any time of the year — especially during Christmas,” he said.
Police were searching Pardo\’s home Thursday for clues to his bloody rampage.
“Maybe there\’s some (sign of) planning, maybe letters or anything that will give us more clues about the state of his mind,” Detective Antonio Zavala told the New York Times.